|Published: 4:17 PM, 09/03/2013
||Last updated: 4:18 PM, 09/03/2013
Author: Jessica Cross
Source: The Monroe County Advocate
Third-grader D.J. O'Dell was
playing on the playground with friends at Tellico Plains Elementary School on Monday when an
unexpected run in with a bee spoiled his fun.
D.J., like many
other students, is highly allergic to bee stings but his family had no idea.
"D.J. had no history of allergies," said School Nurse Amanda Williams,
RN. "He said he had been stung before but had no problems."
Williams assessed D.J. after the sting, giving him Benadryl and keeping him in the clinic for
about 20 minutes before allowing him to return to class.
just a few short minutes, the situation took a turn for the worse.
"Within 10 minutes, it became severe," said Williams.
D.J. returned to the school clinic, wheezing and breaking out in hives.
"About 30 minutes after the sting, he started complaining about having
problems breathing," said Williams. "He started itching all over and then welts starting popping
up on his neck."
Williams knew the signs immediately. D.J. was
experiencing symptoms of an anaphylactic reaction.
saying his heart was starting to hurt," she said.
guardians had already been notified and were on their way to the school. As D.J.'s symptoms
progressively worsened, Williams administered an EpiPen and called 9-1-1.
See full story in the Sunday, Sept. 1, edition of The Advocate &
Subscribe to The Advocate and Democrat by clicking SUBSCRIBE.
Sign up for Breaking News emails from The Advocate and Democrat by clicking EMAIL ALERTS and inputting
your email address next to "Add Me" near the top left corner.